Friday 4 March 2016

WHY AM I HERE? WHAT DO I WANT TO LEARN?

Identify and explain 5 reasons why you chose to study on this course

I chose this course because I want to strengthen my skills as a designer to one day perhaps own my own studio, or be a creative director. I understand this will take practice and experience in a professional environment before I can attain any of this. I think its important to look at the bigger picture and to aim big, if I did not do that I probably would not have done this course. I believe my imagination is a massive part to play and although my skills do not match my imagination I am looking to improve on this, because once I know how to use the tools a lot better my work will speak for itself.

Identify and explain 5 things that you want to learn during your time on the course

I want to learn all tools of design during my time here. I want to strengthen my skills in illustrator as I am new to the system. A long with taking advantage of all the tech available here in the printing room. Learning to print on new materials, use the vinyl cutter etc. after that print induction I realised the scope and potential for new and existing design ideas and practices. I also want to learn a bit more about business in the design world. After leaving it behind at a-level I do miss the subject as I believed it to be very useful in the real world. Something that can be applied to real life situations unlike the application of lets say trigonometry. So ow after leaving leeds can I make profit and a wealthy living for myself. Knowing about the corporate ins and outs of the design world will help me get there.

Identify and explain 5 things that you think are your strengths

Keep it short. Imagination, business minded, sensible, confident. Cannot think of a fifth. 

Identify and explain 5 things you would like to improve

I think this is the same as 5 things that you want to learn during your time on the course surely? Learning is improving.

Identify and explain 5 things that inspire you

Leif Podhajsky my favourite designer, I think his style is so out of the box. The one designer i think i could possibly relate to. You could say his designs are 'trippy' but define trippy? I hate the word because it takes away from the piece gives it a gimmick vibe. When it isn't i think it is good for the work to be a label of this because it evokes a different reaction visually. The level and amount he has accomplished as also provided much inspiration. Nature is a big part of my inspiration, I like using it as a basis for my work because of its beauty. Its already a design piece in itself. Paul Smith... do I think his style is revolutionary? No. Do I admire and appreciate the scope and level he has created with a simple Bridget Rileyesque brand identity? Yes. He has managed to create a well recognised brand image which can be repackaged and designed on a number of products. 

Identify 5 examples of design that demonstrate your fields of creative interest

Album cover art is a massive themed purpose I believe my work could be used for. I believe it has the perfect balance of both type and design, one in which they both work in motion and fluidity with each other. Similarly to a magazine or book cover. Product generation, something that always comes to mind when I am designing a piece, is can it be reproduced onto something else? Can the design be used to be published on a number of things and work as something stronger than just a design more like a symbol. Any form of being able to advertise the design to give it a purpose. I enjoy when theres a purpose to my designs, it gives it more depth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment