Sunday 7 May 2017

SONNY TAKHAR INTERVIEW


Sonny Takhar was managing director for Syco records. The label has enjoyed an impressive run over the last several years with such acts: One Direction, Olly Murs, Fifth Harmony, Susan Boyle, James Arthur, Ella Henderson and Little Mix. As well as producing shows such as X Factor and Britains Got Talent. He has a very impressive resume and is an inspiration for myself in terms of his story and progression to where he is now. 

What made you want to study history at university?

“Well back then I was not really thinking about future prospects, but what subject I would enjoy studying. For the majority of university courses the type of degree you get does not really matter, if you are not looking to specialize in a profession.”

How involved are you with the musicians at Syco?

“We could be here for hours talking about that! Just put very. The good thing at Syco was these are not just business relations. We spend a lot more time with them than you may think; with the large majority I would consider good friends. Were currently helping one of the boys from 1D set up their own record label.  You know, I have weekly conversations with the people signed at Syco and I’m not even working there anymore.”

What made you want to leave the label?

“I had been with Syco since it’s inception, which is over 15 years now. And I had been with Simon even longer! So I just felt it was time to try something new. I will always be grateful to that company and everyone in it, for making me who I am today, and the knowledge they gave. Besides all that I am looking forward to spending more time with the kids. I have a new venture with Columbia in L.A, which is very exciting.” 

What was the process like working your way up in the business?

“The opportunities I was given by the company were from pure hard work, day in and day out. Which is a value I think Simon really admires in anyone. He rewards people for hard work and loyalty, which is a principle I think can get you far in any profession. It was also fundamental to go through each level of the business to fully understand it.”

 Is the degree you study defining to where your career ends up? 

“Like I said before the type of degree you take does not define your career unless you want to specialize. My degree has nothing really to do with the job I have now. But it did allow me to put my foot out the door. When I first received the opportunity to work for Simon I think having a qualification didn’t necessarily show that I had the skills to undertake the job role. But what it did show that I have the work ethic, so the degree provides the opportunity, it is completely up to you what direction you take it.”

What ethos do you look for in employees you recruit? 

“Whenever I was recruiting for the business I personally chose people with qualifications and people with experience. This does not mean experience in the industry; this is to see if the applicant has experienced the pressures of working life. But the world has changed significantly since I was working then. Now I would imagine due to the market being saturated, the recruitment process would be much tighter, as you have so many impressive resumes to chose from.” 

What would I need to gain some work experience with you?  

“I remember you asking me this when you were 15-16 years old. Once you have earned your degree we can have a chat and see what your ambitions are and go from there, there is no rush you should really be focusing on enjoying your last few years of uni and cracking on with that.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment