Sunday 22 April 2018

OI DESIGN - ADRA

The Adventist Development and Relief Agency International is a humanitarian agency operated by the Seventh day Adventish Chruch for the purpose of providing individual and community development and disaster relief. In 2004, ADRA reported assisting nearly 24 million people with more than £159 million in aid. Its staff numbered over 4,000 members. As of the end of 2007, it had operations in 125 countries. According to orbes, in 2005, ADRA ranked among America's 200 largest charities.

As you can see it's quite a large company so initially felt nervous stepping into it, then I actually came to designing for them I realized how simple it really was. They provide all the information they require, and even provide templated grids for certain projects. Overall the process became quite repetitive and not very creative in comparison to degree work.  

This is an example of the grid they apply you with before generating a booklet design. 











So my role here was to design their report publication. Along with a few publications including posters and booklets. I spent 2 days on this brief. With each project I was paid £100. As a process it was a lot simpler than university. Mainly because everything has already been thought out for you by both the team at Oi and a few from Adra. The use of templates made my job a lot easier. Perhaps not in the ways I would like. One of the main reasons I enjoy the process of a design is investing myself into a project, whether that is within research, experimentation etc. I am putting myself into the brief. This type of work is very monotonous, and I get no personal motivation or joy from briefs such as these.

When I spoke to some of the team at Oi asking whether they enjoy briefs like these, I received no positive feedback. Many stating that majority of Oi's clients revolve around this kind of work and just comes as part of the job. It may not be the most exciting work however if it's by a big company then these types of jobs are easy money, as the reward is far greater than the service/product provided. 







These were continuing on from my work with Adra for Oi. A range of posters was made with the same colour scheme and concepts applied to all, just experimenting with different formats. None of the content is generated by myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment